It may sound crazy, but cereal has always been my brainfood. When I was in college and had to pull an all-nighter to study for an exam, you better believe a box of Apple Jacks or Cookie Crisp was sitting right next to me. There's just something about that crunch that activates my brain and keeps me focused.
Since I'm all grown up and follow the keto diet, whenever I'm faced with a difficult deadline and might be up most of the night, I swap out Captain Crunch Crunchberries for Catalina Crunch Maple Waffle Cereal! While it's not quite as satisfying as a box of Apple Jacks, I feel better knowing that it's healthier and contains less sugar. And who really needs a cartoon spokesperson at my age?
So, imagine my surprise when I learned about the 2023 Catalina Crunch recall while I was halfway through the package.
Why is there a Catalina Crunch recall?
Catalina Snacks Inc. — which produces gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly munchables — recalled more than 300,000 packages of its cereal and snack mixes due to a foreign object/possible metal contamination. The Lebanon, Ind.-based brand, which is a favorite of fitness enthusiasts and wellness influencers, was forced to issue the ongoing recall on products displaying certain best-by dates that were sold in various states and online.
According to the FDA, 316,980 pouches of ready-to-eat pouches were recalled due to the presence of a foreign object. These products were distributed in the following states, and online:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
The list of recalled Catalina Crunch products include:
- Catalina Crunch Cheddar ready-to-eat snack mix, 6-ounce package, UPC 850017468160, Best by Date 2/15/2023 and 2/22/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Creamy Ranch ready-to-eat snack mix, 6-ounce package, UPC 850017468160, Best by Date 2/15/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Spicy Kick ready-to-eat snack mix, 6-ounce package, UPC 850017468153, Best by Date 2/22/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Honey Graham ready-to-eat cereal, 9-ounce package, UPC 860479001553, Best by Date 7/25/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Fruit ready-to-eat cereal, 1.27-ounce package, UPC 850017468214, Best by Date 8/1/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Fruit ready-to-eat cereal, 8-ounce package, UPC 850017468085, Best by Date 8/1/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter ready-to-eat cereal, 9-ounce package, UPC 850017468184, Best by Date 8/1/2023 and 8/8/2023.
- Catalina Crunch Maple Waffle ready-to-eat cereal, 9-ounce package, UPC 860479001539, Best by Dates 7/25/2023 and 8/15/2023.
Were you impacted by the Catalina Crunch recall?
If you discover you have purchased a package of Catalina Crunch cereal or snacks that have one of the best by dates or UPC numbers listed above, there are a few things you should do:
- Immediately throw the products away
- Return the products to the store where you purchased them
- Contact Catalina Crunch to help answer any questions or concerns you may have at (949) 259-312.
If you'd like to receive additional information and notifications about current and future recalls, click on the links below to sign up: