The North Face Is Making Shirts From Recycled Bottles To Clean National Parks
3 weeks ago

The U.S. National Parks system deals with the same sort of litter issues as most public parks. On a regular basis, they collect trash left behind by visitors, which includes a considerable number of plastic bottles. Treehugger reports that the parks have partnered with clothing company The North Face in an attempt to put all this plastic waste to use.

The North Face announced the launch of their new line called Bottle Source, composed of T-shirts and tote bags made in part from recycled plastic bottles collected at Yosemite, Grand Teton, and the Great Smoky Mountains. They've already collected 160,000 pounds of plastic, and their director of sustainability, James Rogers, has declared Bottle Source "the next step in our materials innovation." 

Many companies are experimenting with new lines of production for their clothing lines, as the damage fast fashion does to our planet becomes better understood

Bottle Source is actually only made of 40 percent recycled polyester. The remaining 60 percent is cotton, a cloth that demands an enormous amount of water to produce, plus various pesticides to grow. But The North Face is working on their system for transforming plastic into fabric. The recycled bottles are ground down, melted, and then spun into a thread that can be melded with the cotton, as they explain in this short animation:

A bonus feature to the line is that for every product they make, The North Face is donating one dollar to the National Park Foundation in support of recycling and reuse programs in the parks.

The shirts and totes on sale feature The North Face's logo, and references to John Muir, a conservationist who is known at the "Father of the National Parks." There are also floral prints and a shirt that says, "Never stop exploring." The best way to assure that is possible is by preserving places like the National Parks. No matter how many people visit, they offer endless wonders. Now, go buy a reusable bottle.

Style'Be Zero' Founder Reveals The Waste-Free Staples She Keeps In Her Purse

Andrea Sanders, founder of Be Zero, knows a thing or two about creating a green beauty regimen. The popular author and educator teaches people every day how to create sustainable and mindful habits. And today, she's giving Green Matters a peek inside her purse.

By Desiree Kaplan
9 hours ago
NewsLouisiana Creates Unique Plan To Save Its Coast By Diverting Mississippi River

Levees are built to help prevent the overflow of rivers and to save land from storm surges, but they've had a negative effect on Louisiana's wetlands. The state is creating divisions in these levees to bring needed sediment to marshes in order to restore land.

By Brian Spaen
1 day ago
TechnologyThis Smart Technology Makes It Easier For National Parks To Go Green

A recent report called Smart Parks suggests that connecting national parks with sensors and monitors will help offer useful, real-time communication to park visitors while helping park employees keep better track of things like waste management.

By Desiree Kaplan
2 days ago
TechnologyThe Surprising Way Drones Can Help Fight Climate Change

Drones can do everything from take beautiful photos to deliver your groceries. But their ability to thwart climate change may be the little gadgets' crown achievement.

By Emily Folk
2 days ago
Stay Green
Sign up for our newsletter