This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. (Click to close.)
varnish-418241_1920-1494525617787.jpg
Source: kropekk_pl

The Truth Behind The Toxins In Your Nail Polish

By Nicole Caldwell

We all know harmful toxins can enter our bodies through the food we eat and the chemicals our skin comes in contact with. Still, we rarely connect those threats with our fingernails and toenails. In my opinion, we should.

The concerning truth is that your nails work the same way, potentially absorbing toxins in nail polish and offering a direct line to your blood stream. A study led by Duke University the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that every time we get our nails done, at least one potentially hormone-disrupting chemical makes its way into our bodies.

The Food and Drug Administration is charged with regulating nail polishes, but only post-market. That means companies in violation of regulations can be charged, but not before products hit shelves. You’re right if you’re thinking human nails aren’t terribly absorbent—but nail solvents, as well as some polishes themselves, can wear down your nails, thereby making them permeable and allowing toxins to get into your body.